SALISBURY, N.C. — Food Lion on Wednesday will officially unveil 92 remodeled stores in five communities in South Carolina and one in North Carolina.
The company said it made a $158 million capital investment in the stores earlier this year, which included remodeling the stores and hiring 2,000 additional associates. The aim is to provide an improved shopping experience, according to the company, which also donated two mobile trucks to area food banks to help feed local families in need.
The stores are located in the the greater Myrtle Beach, Florence, Columbia and Charleston, S.C. markets, as well as in Lumberton, N.C.
“Food Lion has nourished our neighbors in the greater South Carolina community for 43 years, and we’re excited to bring these improvements to our 92 local stores,” said Meg Ham, president of Food Lion. “We’ve created a new grocery shopping experience through the significant investments in our stores, associates and communities. From our expanded variety and product assortment, newly reorganized stores, to a more efficient check-out experience, every change we’ve made will make it easier for our customers to find the quality products they have come to expect from Food Lion. When coupled with our weekly sales and promotions, customers will see that we have made it easier for them to nourish their families with healthy foods on a budget.”
Each store will open to the public at 8 a.m. on July 17, following a 7:45 a.m. ribbon-cutting ceremony. As part of the celebration, the first 100 customers in line will receive a Food Lion reusable grocery bag, a Food Lion branded apron and a $10 gift card. One shopper will get a $250 card. Also, later that day at 5 p.m. Food Lion will be giving another round of $10 gift cards to the first 100 customers in all 92 stores.
According to Food Lion, changes at the remodeled stores will include:
- An greater variety of product that is relevant to our customers in each store, such as more local produce in our “Local Goodness” section, an expanded variety of craft beer, limited reserve wines, and more local, natural, organic and gluten-free items;
- An expanded selection of fresh produce and meat backed by Food Lion’s double-your-money-back guarantee and a larger selection of Nature’s Promise beef, pork, poultry, milk, eggs, bottled water, cereal, coffee and other items. Nature’s Promise is Food Lion’s brand of wholesome and organic products that your family can trust because they are made with no artificial flavors, preservatives or synthetic colors.
- A greater selection of easy and affordable complete meals for families and a wider variety of grab-and-go items, including hand-battered chicken as well as pre-sliced deli meats and cheeses that are sliced fresh daily and available for customers to pick up without waiting in line;
- A more efficient checkout process;
- Fully-remodeled stores that have new signage and that group like products together, to make it easier for customers to locate items faster.
Food Lion says it has now remodeled 80% of its network of more than 1,000 stores across its 10-state operating area.