GOODLETTSVILLE, Tenn. — Dollar General Corp. continues to shuffle its leadership ranks ahead of the planned retirement of chief executive officer Todd Vasos. The latest move involves a promotion for chief financial officer John Garratt, who on September 1 added the role of president.
The 53-year-old Garratt will remain responsible for the company’s finance, accounting, strategy and procurement functions. As president, he assumes responsibility for Dollar General’s strategic health care initiative and its international expansion to Mexico.
Garratt joined Dollar General in 2014 as senior vice president of finance and strategy and has served as executive vice president and CFO since 2015.
“John is an accomplished leader with exceptional business and financial acumen, as well as the strategic vision to support Dollar General’s long-term growth opportunities, and his appointment to president enhances our management structure as we continue to differentiate and distance Dollar General from the rest of the discount retail landscape,” said Jeff Owen, Dollar General’s chief operating officer.
Owen is slated to become CEO upon Vasos’s retirement, on November 1.
Dollar General late last month announced new leadership promotions and roles for nine officers:
• Shweta Bhatia has joined Dollar General as senior vice president of technology engineering. In this role, she will lead the company’s technology product engineering plus technology and data engineering domains.
• Zak Brining has been promoted to senior vice president of corporate store operations. Brining will continue overseeing store operations workforce management, communication and compliance, and store process improvement while adding responsibilities in store facilities management.
• Donny Lau has been promoted to senior vice president and chief strategy officer. He will continue focusing on DG’s strategic vision and initiatives, implementing strategic partnerships and identifying growth catalysts.
• Jim Sullivan has been promoted to senior vice president of store operations with responsibility for more than 8,000 locations across the northern half of the United States. He will continue to provide training support for field leaders, elevating operations and merchandising acumen.
• Rich Szellan has been promoted to senior vice president of procurement and margin improvement. He joined Dollar General in 2009 as senior director of merchandising operations and has held roles of increasing responsibility in procurement, global sourcing and private brands, and in 2017 he was promoted to vice president of marketing and private brands.
• Dan Connow has been promoted to vice president of store operations. He joined the company in 2017 as director of demand chain management and most recently served as senior director of store operations. In his new role he will be responsible for workforce management and labor planning in addition to his current responsibilities over process improvement.
• Maty Kiser has joined Dollar General as vice president of end user support. She brings more than 30 years of experience in technology-related roles across multiple industries, including expertise in enterprise-level change management transforming how organizations work with a customer-first perspective. In this role, Kiser will lead the DG team providing customer service support, both internally and externally.
• Matt Sikes has joined Dollar General as vice president and chief compliance officer. Sikes’ more than 20 years of experience, including several years in retail and financial service sectors, will bring a focus on building international compliance and protecting corporate brands to DG. In this role, he will collaborate with multiple teams to ensure the company continues to incorporate compliance into its operations.
• Kevin Walker has been promoted to vice president of investor relations. He will manage the company’s relationships with the investment community, helping communicate earnings, growth benchmarks and long-term strategy.
You must be logged in to post a comment Login