CARLISLE, Pa. – The GIANT Co. presented 17 awards at its annual business meeting last week, recognizing stores and individuals at the company for their accomplishments.
“Over the past year, our team members once again went to great lengths to care for one another, their customers, and communities,” said GIANT president Nicholas Bertram said. “It’s an incredible honor to celebrate these outstanding leaders who serve as role models for living The GIANT Company’s purpose, values and promises, through leadership, support and outstanding performance.”
The 2022 award recipients include:
- Store of the Year, awarded to the store in each of the company’s operating divisions that best demonstrates operational excellence and lives the company’s values, bringing them to life by actively engaging its customers and team members. In the Mid-Atlantic division, the GIANT at 136 Kline Village in Harrisburg led by Jill Gingrich and her store team and in the Greater Philadelphia division, the Northern Liberties GIANT Heirloom Market at 1002 N. Second St. in Philadelphia led by Tom Gana and his store team were both recognized as the top stores of the year.
- Category of the Year, awarded to the category team that continuously finds ways to enhance the customers’ shopping experience, actively seeks ways to simplify processes, effectively generates incremental sales and profits, and exemplifies the “one team” attitude. Two deserving teams were recognized this year: for Center Store, the Beverage category led by Katie Cunningham, category manager, and for Fresh, Prepared Foods led by Rob Palmeri, category manager.
- Retail Team Member of the Year, awarded to a team member who consistently provides outstanding customer service, is always willing to support fellow team members and lives by the company’s values, was presented to Mary Marchiondo, bakery manager at the GIANT in Pottstown, Pa.
- Distribution Center Team Member of the Year, awarded to a team member who consistently provides leadership and support across all areas in distribution, acting with a sense of urgency, and continuously finding new ways to elevate the brand and support the stores, was presented to two deserving honorees at the company’s Perishable Distribution Center in Carlisle, Pa., Ryan Finkey, selector, and Jeremy Zeigler, selector.
- E-commerce Team Member of the Year, a brand-new award, recognizes a team member who consistently and enthusiastically provides leadership and support to keep up the momentum behind the company’s e-commerce operations, was presented to Deitra Dandridge, team member relations coordinator, Willow Grove, Pa., e-commerce wareroom.
- Transportation Team Member of the Year, also a brand-new award this year, recognizes a team member who consistently supports the business with their dedication and safe operating practices. It was posthumously awarded to Randy Smith, a tractor trailer driver for the company’s Perishable Distribution Center in Carlisle, Pa.
- Support Center Team Member of the Year was awarded to Ron Hawes, director of store operations. This award recognizes one team member who consistently and emphatically provides leadership and support across all functions of the brand, acting with a sense of urgency and continuously finding new ways to elevate the brand and the support center.
- Simplify Shopping, awarded to a team member who has created or had exceptionally executed a simplified shopping experience for customers, was presented to Kim Taylor, manager of in-store brand integrity.
- Inspiring Fresh Ideas, awarded to a team member who has demonstrated courage to innovate and create value for customers, was presented to Mike Reedy, specialist of field merchandising.
- Creating Healthier Communities, awarded to a team member who has demonstrated connecting and innovative value with communities to help them be healthier and more sustainable, was presented to Leigh Shirley, director of pharmacy operations.
- Grow Through New Opportunities was awarded to Angel Cordero, e-commerce facility manager, Philadelphia. This award is presented to a team member who has demonstrated a team member attitude by fostering and mentoring team members to grow in the organization.
- Make a Difference, awarded to a team member who has volunteered and connected with a nonprofit organization to make communities stronger, was presented to Richard Smith, center store merchandising manager.
- Be You, awarded to a team member that demonstrates the value of care and creates an inclusive environment where they value all voices heard and a sense of belonging for all, was presented to Deavan Ebersole, assistant store manager of fresh, at the MARTIN’S in Charles Town, W. Va.
Rounding out the company’s awards program, the Presidents’ Award was presented to Jessica Fischer, store manager at the Riverwalk GIANT, the grocer’s urban flagship store in Philadelphia. This award is The GIANT Company’s highest honor presented annually and is voted upon by all the company’s living past presidents including Rick Herring, Tom Lenkevich, Allan Noddle, Tony Schiano, Carl Schlicker, and Sander van der Laan. The prestigious award recognizes an individual who consistently delivers exceptional performance, contributes to the organization’s success in countless ways, is a role model for the company’s values, and brings the company’s purpose to life in all that they do.
“I couldn’t be more honored to present this year’s Presidents’ Award to Jessica for her many contributions to The GIANT Company over the past year and her more than 20 years with the company,” Bertram said. “Last year, despite facing challenge after challenge, she never once gave up; in fact, it was during those times she shined the brightest. Her care and courage really stood out to all of us. Jessica doesn’t just care for her team; she puts her team as the most important part of her work. Congratulations, Jessica!”