“The wait for Lubbock residents is finally over. We’re extremely excited to announce that H-E-B is coming to the Hub City,” H-E-B Food & Drug president Scott McClelland said in a statement. “Our locations across West Texas continue to thrive, and the Lubbock store will allow us to answer the long-standing call for an H-E-B in this community.”
H-E-B, which has more than 400 stores in Texas and Mexico, currently has eight stores in West Texas.
The new Lubbock store, set to open in late 2020, will be more than 120,000 square feet in size and will include such amenities as a fuel station with car wash, a Texas Tech collegiate shop (stocked with licensed apparel and accessories from the Lubbock university), and a True Texas BBQ, H-E-B’s barbecue restaurant that was recently named best barbecue chain in Texas by Texas Monthly and a top barbecue chain in the nation by Thrillist. The restaurant will include indoor and outdoor seating.
H-E-B said it has tailored the store’s design to reflect the Lubbock’s community and history, and in fact the lead manager of design on the project is a Texas Tech graduate. The store also will be built with environmental sustainability in mind, the company said.
Additional, store highlights include:
- An H-E-B Pharmacy with two-lane drive-thru service and dietitian office offering nutritional services.
- A Meal Simple department with fresh, convenient chef-inspired meals prepared in store.
- Seafood department with fresh fish and seafood, and in-house steamers for steamed seafood upon request and grab-and-go options.
- A meat market with Prime, natural, and organic meats, dry-aged beef and fully-cooked meat options.
- A large beer and wine section with extensive craft beer selection and wine tasting kiosk.
- A deli department with expanded cheese selection.
- Cooking Connection with live demonstrations and samplings for easy recipes to make at home.
- A bakery department featuring handmade artisan breads, cakes and tortilla machine.
- A Healthy Living department with bulk food items, sports nutrition products and supplements.
- The H-E-B Curbside service, which allows customers to place orders online for pickup at the store.
- A Texas Backyard department, featuring plants, pottery, grills, and outdoor essentials.
- A Blooms floral department, offering online ordering and delivery service.
H-E-B will commemorate the store’s opening next year with a trailer load each of cereal and produce to the South Plains Food Bank as well as gifts of $25,000 each to the South Plains Food Bank, Communities in Schools – South Plains, Lubbock Impact, and Raider Red’s Food Pantry.
“At H-E-B, it is our mission to give back to the communities we serve, and partner with organizations to help expand our reach to families and communities across Texas,” said Winell Herron, H-E-B group vice president of public affairs, diversity and environmental affairs. “For H-E-B, each new store announcement is an opportunity for us to give back to our communities and thank our customers for their enduring support. We are excited to provide the Lubbock community the best H-E-B has to offer.”