NEW YORK — Alaffia has launched its Beautiful Curls collection. The plant-based and silicone-free products are made with handcrafted unrefined shea butter and coconut oil from the Alaffia Village women-led cooperatives in Togo, West Africa.
The line features cleansing, conditioning and styling solutions for all styles and textures — from loose waves and big curls to medium spirals and tight coils.
Each product is formulated with aqueous extracts. Using Alaffia’s reverse osmosis water system, purified water is infused with botanicals such as yarrow, comfrey, arnica, calendula and chamomile, to nourish and hydrate hair and scalp. Beautiful Curls continues Alaffia’s commitment to avoid common synthetic ingredients. The cruelty-free products are crafted without sulfates, parabens, phthalates, mineral oil, artificial color and synthetic fragrance.
“These clean formulas support hair health without sacrificing high performance,” said Lanaia Edwards, vice president of global marketing. “What sets the Beautiful Curls collection apart from other offerings is the unique plant-based and fair trade ingredients that not only produce impactful results for textured hair, but also impactful opportunities for our women-led cooperatives. This collection is built on Alaffia’s mission to alleviate poverty and advance gender equality through the fair trade of indigenous resources and community empowerment initiatives.”
As part of Alaffia’s ongoing Maternal Care Community Impact Program, the natural beauty organization and social enterprise has created Beautiful Arrival in the U.S. Alaffia has partnered with Sister Song, an advocacy organization that supports healthy births for women in marginalized U.S. communities. Five percent of Beautiful Curls sales will be donated to the Beautiful Arrival program.
“At Alaffia, we value beauty, equality and empowerment. Our partnership with Sister Song and our collective mission to provide maternal care underscores our commitment to support and uplift women with the necessary resources to save lives and mitigate generational poverty,” said Edwards. “This is an extension of Alaffia’s work, starting in 2006, which has funded safe births in Togo, West Africa, and to-date has helped over 6,500 women.”
The collection consists of:
- Curl Enhancing – Hydrates, defines and enhance; made for wavy to curly hair types.
- Curl Enhancing Shampoo ($12.99) – This sulfate-free shampoo gently cleanses, soothes and fortifies the scalp without stripping natural oils.
- Curl Enhancing Leave-In Conditioner ($12.99) – This detangling leave-in conditioner improves elasticity and shine, while reducing frizz and smoothing the cuticle from root to tip.
- Curl Defining Gel ($12.99) – This hydrating gel reduces frizz while providing glossy shine and residue-free soft hold for natural styles such as finger styling, twist-outs and braids.
- Curl Activating – Activates and moisturizes; made for curly to kinky hair types.
- Curl Activating Shampoo ($12.99) – This sulfate-free cream shampoo gently cleanses the scalp and hair without stripping natural oils.
- Curl Activating Leave-In Conditioner ($12.99) – This hydrating leave-in conditioner works to smooth the cuticle, remove tangles, improve shine and elasticity, while reducing frizz.
- Curl Activating Cream ($12.99) – This cream hydrates and elongates curls for maximum definition while providing residue-free soft hold for natural styles, such as finger styling, twist-outs, braiding and coiling.
- Curl Styling – Mixes and matches styles; made for all hair types.
- Curl Control Custard ($12.99) – This hydrating custard provides soft hold for natural styles and protects the hair shaft, improves hair strength and promotes shiny, long-lasting, and defining curls while controlling frizz.
- Curl Hydrating Oil ($9.99) – This oil replenishes hair’s protective layer, softens even the driest curls and revitalizes damaged hair.
- Curl Reviving Tonic ($12.99) – This tonic can be used throughout the day and on second-day curls to refresh without re-washing, restore and lock in moisture, revive and retract expanded curls, while minimizing frizz.
Alaffia Beautiful Curls collection is available at Whole Foods, Walmart, Wegmans, independent health food stores, natural grocers, BeautifulCurls.com and Alaffia.com.